de:reconstruction / reflection

My twitter account @roamingabstract has created over 5k tweets in approximately two months. My original plan was to create visual and sonic responses to a number of these tweets. The sounds and more complex musical responses that I began to make earlier in the term weren't relating to the original tweets like I wanted them to. Thus, I focused my energy on a selection of digital collages that speak to my bot's original tweets in a variety of ways. Some of them are straight forward, while others pull the tweet apart and drag the ambiguity of the bot's messages across a new digital landscape. The beauty of responding to the bot's ideas lies in what the reader brings with them to the table. My visual response to a tweet such as "Alternative Dispute Resolution, kingdom, adjustment" for example, will look drastically different than yours.

International Trade & Development, Molasses, Inaction, Digital Collage, 2020 


I have chosen a selection of tweets and responses to include on this blog. They can all be found at the "de:reconstruction" tab on the homepage. The tweets that I chose to elaborate on visually often had larger implications to them, that to me, coincided perfectly with current events. There was also a bit of fun in researching the images I used in the collages. Relying on Google search to give me visuals for my keyword searches was fun, and allowed for collages to be made from photos that I would have never stumbled upon if I were collaging from magazines.

***
Here is my final artist statement:

Disintegration --- a separation of memories, experiences, and collections via fragmentation
Deconstruction --- a "picking apart" of smaller objects from a larger whole
Body --- a conglomeration of particles, ideas, physical, and emotional
Re-structure --- a new idea or object created from other ideas and objects
Reconstruction --- a rebuilt collection of the material world
///
Memories detached from substance
New objects from found ideas 
Reactions to the material
Responses to my own interpretations
A search for meaning through analysis of systems 

Overall, I am excited to continue this project. The bot will keep running, and I will continue to use it for inspiration. Throughout the term I have thought about how some of these tweets could be made into short videos, paintings, songs, or even installations. Something that I  did not expect to come out of this term was my interest in making my art practice more interdisciplinary. I have stumbled upon some artists recently who are blurring the lines between fine artist, performer, etc. Chris Burden is a prime example here. With everything going on in the world, I am very interested in social practice and community more than I have been. I am interested to see where this digital exploration takes me!





Comments