Models of the Hyperreal p. 1-13

"It is a generation by models of a real without origin or reality: a hyperreal." (Baudrillard, 2). 

Digital Structure #1, 2018

A recent conversation with a friend from high school -- whom I've been in contact with via social media and social media only for the past 4 years -- has produced the conclusion that our friendship only exists in the hyperreal. Through shared virtual experiences and relatable content, we have been communicating in a "reality" that has been crafted by others. Machines, models, platforms, and other users all create content to be shared and copied, lifted and reproduced. Have I been communicating my actual thoughts and feelings with this friend? Or have I, over the course of four years, been using adapted imagery and short-hand text language to express myself to her? 

What would Baudrillard say about Instagram? To an extent, the platform is very democratic. Celebrities with millions of followers must adhere to the same guidelines as me. My profile page looks identical to Mark Zuckerberg's. I am limited to posting photos and videos of a certain length and of a certain size, just like every other user. The language of Instagram has created a platform that anyone on Earth can relate to. But within this operational simulation there are rules and politics. The overlords decide what posts are deemed offensive. My content might not be seen by all of my followers due to algorithmic maneuvering. I am forced to communicate within the hyperreal and play by it's rules. 

Authenticity is plagued with new multi-dimensional definitions. Can the hyperreal be authentic? I suppose that I can have authentic relationships with people online. Experience tells me, however, that a relationship based in the hyperreal leaves much to be desired. 

Comments