de:reconstruction / beginnings

The bot is running!

look at it >>> ROAMING ABSTRACT <<< look at it

I will lay out the processes I used to create the bot, why I chose the parameters I chose, and walk you through the next steps of this project.






Cheapbotsdonequick.com is the site I used to run the bot. It is free, and anyone can learn how to code a bot in a few hours. CBDQ links you to other sites with tutorials on how to use Tracery (the program that runs the code), tools to make your bots more complex, and examples of source code from other bots that are already running successfully.

http://air.decontextualize.com/tracery/ and http://barrl.net/2801 are the two sites that I primarily used for tutorial information. Beau Gunderson's Tracery Writer was the tool that I used to write my code.

Beau's site is linked here: https://tinyurl.com/ya2pqaad

Once you write your code on his tool, just copy and paste it into the CBDQ text box. Here's the beginning of my code with the random outcomes on the right:


As I reflect on Baudrillard and his thoughts about simulation, I realize that this project is a game of chess between man and robot. Reading ahead, Baudrillard states: "The robot, on the other hand, as his name indicates, is a worker: the theatre is over and done with, the reign of mechanical man commences...The robot no longer interrogates appearance; its only truth is in its mechanical efficacy" (92-94). 

The Roaming Abstract bot gives us mechanical information based on predetermined lists of nouns, colors, places, etc. It doesn't tell us how to interpret its outputs, but the experiential baggage that we bring to each tweet-combination ignites imagery or emotional response. Because of this, I plan to create visual and sonic responses to a select number of tweets. I will be showing the tweets and the responses side-by-side on a continuous blog post. 

The "social microcosm" motif that Baudrillard talks about on page 23 (he uses Disneyland as a prime example) has extended into social media platforms just as it has in amusement parks. The difference is, however, that Disneyland presents an obviously artificial world for users to lose themselves in, while we have been told that social media presents truth about our real world. This is a significant difference, and one that is so because social media is, for the most part, user generated. 

The introduction of "bots" into a user-generated interface changes the way that humans interact in digital spaces. We have all interacted with bots on social media whether we realize it or not. It is my goal to call attention to the world of automated twitter, and to respond to it in an analog way. 






Comments